Sunday, September 30, 2012

Weighty Options

I'm on this stupid diet. The details are unnecessary, the last thing I want this to turn into is a health and fitness blog because I am not qualified to dispense that kind of advice. What I want to do is bitch about how being careful about what I eat sucks but it is working and I'm both grumpy and proud of myself.

I've always had a strange relationship with my weight and size. When I was a child, I wanted to be a jockey and a gymnast. My stature made both of those dreams impossible, although I did ride horses and do gymnastics for a time.

As I've gotten older, and become more aware of the standard of beauty, two truths have emerged. First: I'm not ever going to look like a model. Second: if you have big boobs, blonde hair, and blue eyes you don't really have to have a modelesque physique to have get a significant amount of male attention. Getting that attention made it easy to ignore my increasing dress size.

I know that it's not politically correct to admit a desire to change your physical appearance to be more universally desireable. And there are plenty of other reasons that I can provide for changing my diet. It's healthier; diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease run in my family. Its better for my joints; my childhood athletic endevors ended after I broke my ankle for the second time and had surgery--I'm kind of a gimp. I can't do any high impact exercise which means I am limited to swimming, walking my dog, or using the elliptical machine at the gym as far as cardio goes. Reducing my weight by 20-25% would ease my daily discomfort in my ankle.

Those reasons are as true as any other, but the thing that helps me choose an apple over a bag of chips is improving my physical appearance.

I'm still totally a feminist guys. Don't freak out.

I think, too, that my current life situation is really frustrating. I have little to no control over most aspects of my life right now. I'm waiting for the economy to change, waiting for the pennies I keep trying to shove in my savings account to amount to something of value, waiting for my life to improve. This is something I can actively do to improve myself. I don't have to wait on anybody else, I can make good choices each day and see the results in how my clothes fit or an actual number changing. Its satisfying and gives me a feeling of momentum. Seeing as I generally feel like I'm treading water, forward movement of any kind is awesome.

So, I'm going to keep it up. Maybe by the time I accomplish this goal I will have developed stronger will power which can only help me attain other goals in my future. Just as soon as I figure out what they are.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome! Do it for whatever reasons, as long as they're for yourself. I just started going back to the gym earlier this year and it made me feel amazing. I've been slacking off, but this post inpsired me to jump back on the horse tomorrow :)